Triathlete & Senior Sales Representative
Garry boosted his career in 2009 when he kicked his 30 cigarette-a-day smoking habit. From then on he completely revamped his lifestyle for the better, just in time for the birth of his daughter Freya. He used running as his main form of exercise. As running slowly got easier he started running farther and farther. When Garry’s friends signed up for Liverpool Triathlon he was tempted to try one and the rest is history. He currently spends around 12 hours per week training for upcoming events. Some days he can even be found doing double sessions fitted in around his travelling sales rep role throughout the North England and Scotland and family duties with his two children Arlo and Freya.
This year Garry’s main focus will be the British Duathlon Championships in Bedford, along with the European Triathlon Championships, Sprinting in Düsseldorf, Germany and racing Standard in Kitzbuhel, Austria as well as aiming to qualify for the World Championships in Rotterdam in September racing in the 40-44 age category. He’s also set to race 2018 qualifiers for standard and sprint among other British and National championship events, already qualifying for the European Duathlon Championships and European Sprint Triathlon Championship.
Occupation: Senior Sales Representative in the medical industry covering the North of England and Scotland.
Sport: Triathlon and Duathlon
Pre-race Ritual: No ritual, just follow the race plan and don’t stray from it. Once dubbed a no nonsense brand of racing.
Favourite Cheat Food: Anything and everything with Curry, and Jellies.
Favourite Form of Cross Training: Sunday morning trail runs with the Coalfields Race Team
2017 Bedford Standard Duathlon British National Championships 3rd
2016 Leeds castle - English National Champs 12th OA 1st ag (National Champion)
2016 Lisbon Portugal ETU Sprint euro Triathlon champs - 10th
2016 Kalkar, Germany ETU Standard euro Duathlon champs - 9th
- Finished 1st place overall London Triathlon (2015)
- European Standard Duathlon Championships (2015) - Alcobendas/Madrid, Spain
- European Middle Distance Championships in Mallorca (2014)
- 1st Place Team Member Triathlon England Sprint Relays Champs mixed team (2014) - Nottingham
- Team Erdinger Alkoholfrei European Sprint Triathlon Championships (2014) - Kitzbuhel, Austria
3rd Place at British Age Group Sprint Triathlon (2014) - Eaton Dornay
- European Sprint Duathlon Championships (2014) - Horst, Holland
- 4th European Age Group Sprint Triathlon (2013) - Alanya, Turkey
- World Sprint Triathlon Championships (2013) - Hyde Park, London
- 1st Place at the British Age Group Sprint Triathlon (2013) - Nottingham
- London Olympic Torch Bearer (2012)
- 1ST Place at the European Age Group Sprint Triathlon (2012) - Eilat, Israel